Are you passionate about driving sustainable change in the energy sector? We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Project Director to join our team and lead transformative renewable energy projects that contribute to a greener future. With a focus on innovation and environmental responsibility in balance with natural law, we are dedicated to shaping the future of energy. If you are ready to lead impactful projects in the renewable energy sector, apply now and join us on our mission to be a catalyst for change!
We are looking for a full-time Project Director to join our growing organization! The Project Director is an executive level role, responsible for managing all personnel, development strategies, compliance requirements, and execution of SAGE’s clean renewable energy projects to ensure the successful implementation of renewable energy initiatives, adhering to project timelines, budgets, and objectives. The Project Director role requires an on-site presence at the SAGE office in Fort Yates/Standing Rock, North Dakota.
Top essential functions and duties include but are not limited to:
Project Life Cycle
- Lead the strategic planning, development, and execution of renewable energy projects, including wind, solar, electric vehicles and other emerging technologies.
- Direct all aspects of the project lifecycle, including feasibility studies, site selection, permitting, design, procurement, construction, commissioning, and operation.
- Identify and coordinate internal and external resources needed to complete projects.
- Supervise and direct project teams and consultants to develop project plans, budgets, schedules, and ensure effective resource allocation and risk mitigation.
- Utilize and train project teams on specialized software applications for project development.
- Monitor project performance, track key milestones, and evaluate project deliverables to ensure alignment with scope, quality, and time requirements.
- Engage with stakeholders and local communities to foster positive relationships, gather input, and address concerns throughout the project lifecycle.
- Serve as a knowledgeable and enthusiastic ambassador and public speaker to build and maintain SAGE’s positive public image and rapport with community members and stakeholders.
- Identify and evaluate potential project risks, perform risk assessment, and implement mitigation strategies to manage project uncertainties.
- Ensure compliance with relevant environmental, health, and safety regulations, as well as industry standards and best practices.
- Prepare and present project updates, reports, and presentations to senior management, consultants, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Oversee the development of new internal processes to improve program and opportunity pathways for business development and project teams.
- Stay up to date with industry trends, new technologies, and regulatory changes affecting renewable energy projects, and incorporate these insights into project planning and execution.
- Foster a strong culture of sustainability and environmental responsibility within the organization, promoting renewable energy adoption and positive environmental impact.
- Honor and incorporate Lakota/Dakota cultural values in project development.
- See projects through from vision-stage to operation, outlining plans for each stage and supervising staff and consultants on the timeline created.
- Interpret contractual requirements, design drawings and project specifications to complete projects in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Continuously review project budgets for cost-savings opportunities.
- Engage and leverage network relationships to reduce costs.
- Work diligently to coach the project team to stay within the project budget and ensure grant compliance when necessary.
Other duties as the organization requires
Our ideal candidate will bring a strategic, “can-do” approach to their work and will embody the following qualifications, skills, and values:
- Proven experience in managing the full scope of projects and utility administration from conception to completion: Finance, engineering, operations, rate design, marketing and communications.
- Strong knowledge of renewable energy technologies, including solar, wind, electric vehicles, and other emerging technologies and a familiarity with energy storage solutions is preferred.
- Proficient understanding of renewable energy policies, regulations, and incentives is preferred.
- Demonstrated success in building effective business relationships.
- Experience with Google suite, Microsoft Office suite, and project management software (such as Asana) is preferred.
- Experience working with sovereign nations and/or tribal organizations is preferred.
- Experienced and eager to incorporate Lakota/Dakota and Native American-centered ideology and values into project management strategies and engagement.
- This is an in-person position at our office in Ft. Yates, North Dakota and periodic travel for speaking engagements will be required.
- Preference will be extended to Native American candidates.
Skills & Values:
- Leadership – Provide strategic direction, set clear expectations and success criteria, foster a positive and productive work environment for direct reports.
- Critical thinking - Analytical thinking and problem-solving abilities, with a keen attention to detail to work through complex situations.
- Communication - Effective, clear and concise communication, In person, virtually and in written expression, throughout all levels of the organization.
- Project completion – Strong desire and ability to ensure all elements of the project are present and complete.
- Project management – Exercise outstanding organizational and project management skills to ensure all steps of the project are on track, within budget and consistently moving through to the completion stages.
- Flexibility – Plans a few steps ahead to account for unplanned changes and adapts to change with a new plan quickly.
- Resiliency - Exercises an ability to pivot and make sound strategic decisions with short notice.
- Teamwork - Interact productively with a team and play to each person’s strengths.
- Business development – Ability to identify and establish trusting relationships within key networks.
- Fiscal responsibility – Exercise a fiscally conservative approach.
- Deadline oriented – Works consistently through deadlines.
- Passion – A personal drive and motivation for sustainability, renewable energy, and mitigating climate change in balance with natural law.
- Ability to work with Tribal governments to advance the mission of SAGE and strategy of project tasks and initiatives.
Experience & Education:
Preference will be given to candidates who have at least one of the following combinations of experience and education:
- Fifteen (15) years’ experience in providing technical advisory services supporting the development of large projects with a high school diploma.
- Ten (10) years’ experience in providing services supporting the development of large projects with a bachelor’s degree in engineering or other related technical four-year degree (master’s degree is preferable).
SAGE, “Strategic Advancement Goals for the Environment”, provides renewable and sustainable energy resources in balance with Natural Law to recognize the interconnectedness of all living things.
SAGE acts as a Public Power Authority (PPA) that will control and operate all the energy production assets within the reservation. SAGE institutionalizes SRST’s involvement in renewable energy projects, facilitates agreements with third-party entities, and holds Standing Rock’s equity interest.
SAGE Core Values:
- Wisdom Natural Law ― the respect of the balance of all living things
- Respect Tate Topa (four winds) ― the winds each bring different aspects that give life
- Caring/Compassion 7 generations/good ancestors’ mindset ― make sound decisions that will have a positive impact to our relatives in 500 years
- Fortitude/Bravery Protecting ― local control and ownership respect for SRST law and individual land ownership
- Generosity To be equitable ― to give a fair return on revenue and fair pricing for energy to our customers
- Humility Leadership ― be willing to listen, learn and lead to build community
- Honesty Fiscally responsible ― follow general accounting principles and work within the APPA standards for public power
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Joining SAGE means being part of a team that is making a positive impact on the planet. We offer a collaborative and innovative work environment, competitive compensation, and opportunities for professional growth.
This will be a full-time position with an annual compensation range between $80,000 - $120,000 and is commensurate with experience, qualifications, and skills.
SAGE places importance on the value of supporting employees with a comprehensive total benefit package. The following benefits are available after completing the introductory period:
- Health Insurance (Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- LTD and Life Insurance
- Retirement Benefits
- Generous Paid Time Off, Holidays, & Spiritual Leave
- Financial contributions for professional development
- Financial contributions for Lakota/Dakota language and cultural development
If you are someone who aligns with SAGE values and is eager to contribute to their mission through your passion for sustainable energy for the Lakota/Dakota Native nation, please apply with your resume and cover letter.
Within your cover letter, please share with us why you feel your background fits well in this position.
SAGE complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please message us through the portal with your application.
SAGE and Gorge HR have partnered up in the recruitment efforts of this position.